June 03, 2010

Writers' Festival Loot

I promised I would share with you the books I came home with after my trip to the Sydney Writers' Festival a couple of weeks ago so here they are:


From top to bottom the books are:

Things We Didn't See Coming - Steven Amsterdam - This was one of the books I bought after not only loving the sound of the book but being charmed by the author after I listened to him talk about his process of writing and producing the book. It comes with a lot of praise and (I think) a great title!

Outside Of The Dog - Rick Gekoski - I didn't actually get the chance to hear this author speak but I read his bio in the festival program along with the description of the book where it is described as a "bibliomemoir" - one of my favourite genres of books.

The Vagrants - Yiyun Li - My favourite session from the festival was listening to Li talk about her latest book and if she writes as engagingly as she reads and speaks I am sure I am going to love this one.

4 comments:

Rebecca Chapman said...

I saw Rick Gokovski talk and he was soo funny and interesting! I will really look forward to reading what you have to say about Outside of a Dog, as well as the other books

Rebecca Chapman said...

By the way, I wanted to email you something I have been thinking about that involves Australian Book Bloggers. Do you have an email I can contact you on? I couldn't find one on your blog or profile?

Karen said...

Hi Becky - I am so sad I missed that talk - I just knew it would have been good! I think it's so funny to think of us both at the festival that day - I bet we even passed each other at some stage! My email is karen_barrett@aapt.net.au

Anonymous said...

Your style is so unique compared to other folks I have read stuff from.
I appreciate you for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this web site.

Feel free to surf to my website; satellite cs