April 27, 2010

Chéri

I recently watched the film version of Chéri starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Rupert Friend. This was another movie that I meant to go and see at the cinema but I just missed it so I have had to wait for it to be released on DVD.
Visually this movie is stunning - the costumes and the sets and locations especially so. But I have to say the visuals were the best thing about the movie for me. I thought Pfeiffer and Friend were great in their roles as the courtesan Léa and young Chéri but something about the whole thing together just didn't gel for me.
I did love the story though and I am now very keen to read Colette's novel which the movie was based on. Luckily I have a gorgeous Vintage Classics Edition of the book waiting on my shelves.
Has anyone read this, or any other Colette books that they would recommend?

6 comments:

Elise said...

I wanted to see this in the cinema as well but missed it. Sounds like I would enjoy it, even if it wasn't perfect, I can watch a movie for the costumes!

Nadia said...

Wow!Love the copy of your book - it is gorgeous!! The movie sounds great - well, the costumes and location do. I'll add it to my list of movies to rent. Thanks!

Thomas Hogglestock said...

I love a good period film and I have enjoyed books by Colette, but man oh man, did I hate this film. It was so boring. Frankly it kind of put me off reading more Colette.

Anonymous said...

Michelle Pfeiffer! I didn't even know she was still acting. Think I'll look for the book.

Iliana said...

I never even heard of the movie! I'm hoping to read some Colette this year but we'll see how my good intentions pan out.

Karen said...

Hi Elise - Even though I didn't find it to be a fantastic movie overall I still did enjoy it - the look alone was gorgeous enough to keep me watching.

Hi Nadia - It is beautiful isn't it??

Hi Thomas - That's no good at all! I have to say I felt very similar when watching this film - I was expecting so much more.

Hi eveningreader - I think this was supposed to be a big "comeback" role for her.

Hi Iliana - I know what you mean! I had all of these reading intentions for this year and we are almost half way through without me meeting a lot of them! Oh well - as long as I am reading books that I am enjoying I will be happy.