February 19, 2009

Five Questions

Kim over at Sophisticated Dorkiness has emailed me five questions so that I can play along...

1. What is your favorite setting from a book (fiction or nonfiction)? Why?

It would have to be any setting in an English village in a Jane Austen novel. It is quite strange actually as I grew up in a regional country area in Australia and I hated it but I just love all of the descriptions of these settings in Jane Austen's work.

2. When you're not reading or blogging, what is a favorite hobby?

This is a hard one as I don't see myself as a "hobby" person except for my reading. Is it bad to say shopping?? I did enjoy photography once but I haven't really got into that in a long time.

3. On a long plane/train/car ride, what kinds of books do you like to read?

Definitely something light and character driven - the Alexander McCall Smith books that I am reading now would be perfect. I also really like to take audio books with me for longer trips.

4. What book has influenced your perspective on an important political or social issue?

The book Fast Food Nation definitely made me think about the food choices I was making. I have also just picked up the new Peter Singer book - The Life You Can Save: Acting Now To End World Poverty which I expect will have a big impact when I read it.

5. If you could only read one genre of books for the rest of your life, what genre would you pick and why?

I know this is being a bit broad and non-specific but I will have to say literary fiction - I don't want to cut off my options!

Do you want to play along? Leave me a comment to this post that says “Interview Me” with contact information, and I’ll send you a list of five questions to answer on your blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane Austen's descriptions are really lovely, I might want to live there too.

Thanks for playing!
Kim

Karen said...

Hi Kim - I would love to live there - at least for a while! Thanks for the questions!

Iliana said...

Oh I love English village settings too. Actually, I feel like I do tend to read a lot of books set in England in general. Maybe I lived there in another life :)

Karen said...

Hi Iliana - that's exactly how I feel myself! I felt a real connection with the English countryside when I visited there for the first time.

nutmeg said...

[Firstly, sorry I am a bit late on the scene - hope you have fully recovered from your car incident :-)]

I have recently purchased that Singer book as well. I am about a third of the way through a previous one of his - The Ethics of What We Eat - which ties into some similar themes of Fast Food Nation and the Michael Pollan books. I am looking forward to this current book - well, in some ways I'm not - I'm sure it will be depressing too but I am sure worthwhile.

Oh, by the way, "interview me". I promise to answer them too!

Karen said...

Hi Nutmeg - thanks, I am totally recovered now thankfully!
I know what you mean about the Singer book possibly being a little depressing - I think that is why it is still on my shelf waiting to be opened.
I will come over to your blog to let you know your interview questions - I have to put my thinking cap on...