August 11, 2008

Searching for Time


I am totally agreeing with Nova about the need for time - not only time for reading and other important things but time for life in general.

I consider myself a pretty time managed person - I'm organised and structured (sometimes to the point of obsessiveness!) and I have 3, yes 3, diaries. I know where I need to be, when I need to be there and I'm always there. The problem with all of this is that I never seem to have any of that magical stuff known as "free time"! If I try to structure any of that into the equation it just doesn't seem to happen.

I know I shouldn't be complaining - I don't have children, my cat is fairly self-sufficient and my partner really is a gem - but I still struggle to find this precious thing we know as time. I do work full time and have recently started my PhD (if anyone can tell me how to squeeze this one in please let me know!) so I know these things take up energy and time but there needs to be a balance.

My other dilemma is that when I do take some time for myself (i.e. reading) I feel as though I should probably be spending my time in other ways - the guilt settles in!

I know I am really just trying to work this all out, and I'm really the only one who can do anything about this, but any solutions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

The photo at the top of this post comes from Anna's gorgeous blog - I recommend checking it out if you are wanting to discover bliss in images. I will concentrate on this image and imagine myself in the seat...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that guilt well! I got swallowed up by a book this weekend and in the back of my mind the whole way I felt guilty for "wasting" time.

But a full-time job and working toward a PhD? Wow. I feel bad for complaining! If you find the secret to securing some of that coveted guilt-free free time please, please let me know.

Karen said...

Hi Novaren - If I find the secret I will defnitely pass it on! I think the secret might actually have something to do with letting go of the guilt... Easier said than done I know but I might give it a try!
What book consumed you this weekend?

Jill said...

I feel the same way! I too have nothing but a husband and cat to care for, but still feel pressed for time just about every day.

Karen said...

I'm with you Jill - I think there are a lot of people feeling the same way by the sounds of things.