June 06, 2008

Thanks for the Memories - Cecelia Ahern


I have read a Cecelia Ahern book in the past - can't quite remember which one but I remember enjoying it a lot - I'm afraid I can't say the same for Thanks for the Memories - a book I will soon be forgetting.

I had chosen this latest Cecelia Ahern book to take on a work trip - I was travelling around the state for a week and thought it would be nice to have a light, entertaining and enjoyable read with me while I was on the road - I got one out of three.

Thanks for the Memories focuses on two main characters, Joyce and Justin - two people from different countries with no knowledge of each other until Justin make a blood donation which Joyce apparently receives after a serious fall leaves her unborn child dead. After coming out of hospital Joyce starts recalling details of specific art and architecture movements, as well as languages she has never learnt. We are led to believe that Joyce is now adopting some of Justin's memories and character traits as a result of the blood donation.

This book was totally predictable (this coming from a person who is usually completely dense about predicting plots in novels or movies - no matter how basic or obvious!) and the characters were boring and unsympathetic. Very disappointed!

No comments: